Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Emotional Crutch

Yesterday could really rival the Baudelaire children in terms of a series of unfortunate events. Even as I write this, I am barely able to type...

It all started the night before with a really vivid dream of E, *gasp* having an affair! We were uni students, queuing in to the exam hall, and he was ahead of the queue, *gasp* holding another girl close as he would me. Naturally I looked confused and puzzled - he glanced up, saw me, looked guilty, and shifted attention back down again to the girl (who was a secondary-school mate of mine), leaving me more confused than ever. The girl - C - looked pretty puzzled as well, even though she didn't look uncomfortable in his arms. At this point, she looked up at him, then at me, then did a surprising thing - she pulled him out of the queue, pulled me out, and told him that he should be with me, that he was doing the wrong thing, and she didn't want to have anything to do with an "affair". All this in front of the entire student assembly!

I was surprised, and couldn't be stuffed with the exam, and decided to request for special consideration. However I was denied by the examining panel, to which a huge protest was mounted by the student body! It was a huge ruckus, lots of shouting and banners, everyone saying I should have the right for special consideration based on emotional trauma, and how they were all witnesses etc. And we WON! And everyone celebrated and partied their victory (instead of sitting for their own exams, which was rather strange, but anyhoo...)

As I packed my stuff and headed away from the darkened hall (it was night-time already), I saw EG in a distance walking away with his books. And I turned and saw C, and I gave her a fierce hug and whispered, "Thank you. You did an honourable thing today, and I really appreciate it." I had tears in my eyes... and then the dream melded into another one...

WELL! Couldn't sleep for the rest of the night could I?!! Grrr.... that plus heaviness of Baby. They do say you get weird dreams when you're preggers...

After waking up the next morning in absolute fatigue, I started making my way towards the train station using my new crutch. YES PEOPLE! The physio recommended I use a crutch to ease the pressure off my SIJ. So Day 2 of getting used to a crutch that felt uncomfortable since (a) I seem to lean all weight on my left side, esp. my crutch hand in order to balance myself, and (b) it slowed me down considerably, and then I see my train zooming past me (half thought of throwing the crutch aside and making a break for it). Sigh. So I decide to get a hot chocolate, then realise I don't have cash, and the next 3 cafes don't take EFTPOS, or need a minimum of $10. So I trudge towards the ATM, and it starts to rain on me!!

I took it all in with a sigh of resignation, and determined that it wouldn't ruin my day. And it didn't - the rest of the day passed without event, and I actually felt invigorated after spending a 2-hr session with Prof. De Raadt and learning from him. And looking forward to dinner with the Yarravillers and E.

Which leads me to why I type with less dexterity today. As we got into the car, eased into my seat the way I now have to - which is to hang onto the car roof, ease into the seat, then swing both my legs in - which helps with the SIJ pain. Except this time, the pain felt more intense, and waitaminit! It ain't coming from my hips, but this searing bone-crushing pressure was coming from my left hand. Yup, you got it folks - as E got into her seat behind me, she closed the car door on my left index finger and thumb. YIKES. Looks like I won't be needing the left-hand crutch for awhile!

Thankfully, it could've been much worse. No broken bones, just a bad bruise. What a great way to end the day!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay you're blogging again - you're still looking good! just wanted to say hi to you and EG. love, soph

Anonymous said...

hehe...you and another friend are probably our only 2 readers hahah