Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Baby's first musical

We brought the bubba for his first musical yesterday...so what if he could only "hear" it through the muffled membranes of my tummy? He was still present! ;-)

It was magical, and I've found that EG has a secret fondness of musicals, or rather, as he puts it "well-performed stage productions". Ahem. He does not think that Cameron Mackintosh's Miss Saigon holds a candle to Andrew Lloyd Webber's production of Les Miz tho'. Quite the connoisseur he is, wouldn't you think?

That aside, it was such a tremendous performance - there's nothing like being captured by a story being played out - LIVE! - in front of you. Beautiful sets and costumes, constant melodrama, tremulous voices that crescendo - how engaging! We were pleasantly surprised to see the appearance of a (slightly greyed) RJ Rosales on-stage, claiming him as "ours", ('coz 1. he was quite the reputable thespian in SG theatre circles - Chang & Eng remember?!! - even if he wasn't formed from our ranks , and 2. I last saw him in Rent, so, like, I really know him alright?)

But having watched certain scenes replayed ad nauseum on screen - the helicopter (they replaced the mechanical one for a video depiction!) or Kim & Chris singing as they fall in love, I was quite unprepared for the actual storyline, which really really touched a chord with me. Maybe it's to do with having a child soon (yay, 28 weeks tomorrow, 12 weeks to go), or the scene where Kim hugs Tam knowing he will have a better life in America without her; it all sent me in a tizzy and tears started falling. There's just something about separation, sacrifice and love, that I believe only mothers (& fathers I guess!) will understand.

My nose did not run though, thankfully, 'coz I didn't listen to N's advice and bring tissues! (There I was, thinking I was going to be all stalwart and stoic, 'coz no schmaltzy musical was gonna make me cry!)

And the kid that played Tam was SO ADORABLE! He looked about 4 or 5, such a cute precocious chap. I even loved the way he bowed at the end. Sigh... I hope my baby grows up in showbiz being adorable like that... (can anyone say Stage-mum-zilla?)