Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, May 28, 2007

Baby-back ribs

Ack!

Those months of growth and stretch due to pregnancy hormones have led to a dreadful impasse yesterday morning.

Couldn't move without feeling pain!

As it turned out, my SIJ's (sacroiliac joint) "inflamed". It's the joint where your spine and pelvis meet, and with the softening of all my ligaments and joints in general to make way for birth & labour, simple movements have taken a toll on the SIJ. The way I sleep, sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, has contributed to a firstly sharp, then numbing pain at the base of my spine. Boo...

It hurts most when I lie down, and shifting my weight while trying to sleep comfortably has been quite an exercise in pain management and maneuverability.

The GP I saw yesterday said that in most of these cases, they usually take an X-ray, pump me full of anti-inflammatory drugs, and send me for intensive physio - quite aggressive treatment. But since I'm preganant, I can't do any of the above, so was sent home to rest - major bedrest he said ("don't underestimate rest, or your pain could get worse.") - and have been happily delegating tasks to EG, like pulling chairs out for me so I could waddle into it.

Thankfully, the pain today's much less acute (the power of prayer!), and I can walk without shuffling, as EG puts it, like a lame pirate. (May has already offered Dell as the accompanying parrot for my shoulder.) At tomorrow's checkup, I'm hoping they can suggest some pain relief or physio exercises that could help.

No comments: